Thursday after school our students in the alt-ed program had a basketball game. It is a fantastic opportunity for these boys. They play against other alt-ed programs. Yes, it's pretty intense. As you can imagine, most of them know only one way of taking out their frustrations and it tends to get them in trouble on the court as well! But, it's a better way for them to burn some energy and have a way to connect to school. Blah blah blah. Here is the real story.
I picked Keion up after school and headed back to the gym. Once I got their I realized I forgot my camera and the other teachers didn't have one so I volunteered to run home and grab mine because I live right by the high school.
On the way back to my house the car started acting funny. I remembered that I was low on gas (the gage has been on the fritz working off and on for several weeks) and according to the mileage, just about due for a refill. This was not good.
I was about a mile from my house when I tried to make a run for the gas station. I didn't make it.
Fortunately, I was able to pull into a medical plaza and make it off the road, forbid that I have to plug up traffic and make someone push me.
It didn't help that the temps were below zero. I think around -3 degrees. Yes, pleasant. To top it off, Keion was still at the gym keeping score of the game.
I tried to call Kylan but he was working in the next town and wouldn't make it back in time. I still had to get the camera and get back to the gym.
I called on my friend Sara to help me out. I had her meet me at my house because I was running home, in the freezing cold, with my stiletto boots, with snow up to my knees. All true.
It really wasn't that bad except my hands were on fire as well as my lungs-boy am I out of shape!
I was able to get a hold of Kylan and he put gas in the tank while I was at the game. Yes, it was a gas issue. I'm going to refill sooner from now on. I can't remember the last time I ran out of gas, actually, I do but it was a loooooong time ago. I really thought I was more responsible. Guess not!
I did make it back in time to snap a couple pics of the kids playing.
They won. Yeah.












7 comments:
I find it difficult to imagine that anyone in your home would run out of gas.
It's cold in the city and hiding in my apartment. Hoping. Longing... for the sun to warm us all up.
I've experienced the summer, autumn, winter and spring. Without a doubt I crave the warmer months when everyone loves to be outside to watch and be seen. November was enjoyable when you were here, but i believe each of you will love the warmer climate. Come run a race. I'll hold a cup of gatorade for you to think about me drinking and relaxing in the park while you run. no worries. Someone will hand you a refreshment during the marathon at some point, right?
Perhaps @RISK should travel to new york for a summer tour. I'll hook you up with a gig.
What a sight... you running in the snow. You were definitely dedicated to getting that camera! I think I might have let them go without pics!!! What a champ! I'm embarassed to say that I've run out of gas in my adult life once too. I was across the street from the gas station and had to get pushed! Not our proudest moments!
Dang that out of gas thing. It is a bad one. The weather worse. I think someone should have had a movie camera on you running in the snow in the boots. Any gloves or hat on your body?
But...I really do think I remember you running out of gas in that burgandy car you drove Twin. Definitely better weather there. Glad it all worked out. Good friends are a tender mercy.
Sister Peterson, you're awesome. I can totally picture this. MUST...HAVE...CAMERA!!! But I can relate. NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!! :P This story made me laugh. It was a good adventure, I'm sure.
You make me laugh even though that totally stinks for you. Great to have a nice friend to help you out. That is really cool you guys have wonderful programs to help kids.
Running out of gas....Oh, I hate that! I loved the photos. It reminded me when I taught at the hs in Colorado. Bob and I had no kids and no life, so we attended all the sporting events. Those were fun times. The kids appreciate your support more than you know. You'll probably never know, because they won't tell ya.....but really.....those are the acts that mean the most to them.
Running out of gas....Oh, I hate that! I loved the photos. It reminded me when I taught at the hs in Colorado. Bob and I had no kids and no life, so we attended all the sporting events. Those were fun times. The kids appreciate your support more than you know. You'll probably never know, because they won't tell ya.....but really.....those are the acts that mean the most to them.
Post a Comment