Saturday, September 27, 2008

And More Homecoming

Keion looks like he is still half asleep. Waking up for school is difficult for all of us.
We had to take a shot of him dressed up in the school colors for the last day of the Homecoming celebrations. Isn't he cute?
I also wanted to share pictures from our classroom. The kids were somewhat forced to participate in the interclass games. Most of them did it willingly, others not-so-much.
But they all had a great time painting their faces to get ready for the big events.
Here is a shot of one of the kids I like to give a bad time. He smokes and I'm trying to convince him to quit. He weighs about 125 lbs. and makes me look like large Marge next to him!
All of the students were trying to get me to paint my face all crazy like them. I gave in, but only a little bit. I was real wild and crazy and had them paint a paw print on my cheek!
Here is a shot of all the kids together. We are missing about 12 students in this picture. I should have taken a picture of the back of our class t-shirts that one of our students designed. They turned out great and we got a lot of comments from the other students that they liked ours the best. It ended up being about the only thing we were the best at during these games!!Meet Lisa. She is a sweet girl in our class and is the skinniest little thing. She participated in the pie eating contest. I was a little worried until...


..she started digging in. She was all over it. I was up close and personal taking pics and cheering her on. I was lovin' it.
She has pie everywhere. Note to self, pull bangs back next time.Look at that face, she is so proud of herself. She should be because she actually took 1st place! Our only victory of the day.Here are our guys for the egg toss.


Oops, they dropped it. The clean up crew was hilarious.
It was nice to see the guys give each other five even though they lost. Not too bad of kids after all, regardless of what the majority of people think of them.
Here is a shot of the kids in the crowd.
Our girls were awesome in the tug-of-war. They lost but put up a great fight.
Our guys did even better. Their first match was against the faculty, who is undefeated for 10 yrs. straight. They actually had them in the beginning and then lost it in the end.
This is our girl's egg toss team.

Another shot of the class in the crowd. Every class had their own t-shirts they had made up with a catchy slogan. Seniors-black, Juniors-Green, Sophomore-Blue, Freshmen-White, and CSS (our class which stands for Center for Student Success) was Grey. Oh hey, there is a shot of the back of our shirts. Cool, right?


I cannot tell you how much fun I had at this pep assembly. It was like I was reverting back to my high school days. I loved high school, I don't want to do it again, but I enjoyed everything about it. Mostly the sports. Nothing like getting psyched for a big game especially against our big rivals Poky!
Honestly, I probably had too much fun!! When I got home and told Kylan all about it he made a great point. Even though some of our kids were hesitant about participating and felt out of place, they never would have had this opportunity if they were in the general population at school. Only the most popular and athletic kids got picked to participate in these games and our kids are neither of those two.
I know one day they will look back on this experience and relish the opportunity they had to be apart of something that the majority of kids never get to experience. For that, I'm happy for them and I'll remind them of this when they are complaining to me Monday morning!
Keion also had a soccer game today. I forgot to take my camera. They lost 5-3. It was really back and forth until the last 5 minutes of the game. The other team was great so the boys had nothing to feel bad about. Of course that doesn't make any of them feel any better. They have another one tomorrow so hopefully they will come back strong.
Kylan is getting ready to take his boards. He goes on Tues. to take them. He can't wait. Once he gets his test results back he can stop going to board review...Yeah!
He also ordered his iPhone. I need to keep him away from our friends who have iPhones, Sara has already showed him several games for him to download and I'm afraid he is going to become a phone junky!

7 comments:

Chloe said...

I'll bet your class really loves you, Sis.P. It sounds like you're really good with them! I'm glad that they get to enjoy you.

And what is it with med students and their gadgets? My dad's the same way!

hayley said...

I think you found the perfect job. How fun to relive the good parts of high school:) Good luck to Kylan on boards, Will is dying to get them over with but might not be able to take them until May because of his schedule. They put all his elective months(when I guess they are supposed to take it) at the end of his year. Although it will be nice that he will have a better schedule when the baby comes!

Anonymous said...

Danette,
You are awesome! The way you are making a difference in these kids lives is amazing.
It turns out our stripper was from a ward in our building...nice.

Go Kylan!

Kerri said...

Keion is cute! Too bad about the soccer game but I bet they will rebound quickly, especially with Keion on the team! :) Good old home coming. I am glad you had so much fun. The picture of the paw print on your face was cool! I bet your students love you since you get so into it!

Kristi said...

Hey, Kerri stole my first line. I too was going to write, "Yes, Keion is cute!" I loved all these pics. and must admit they made me really sad. It make me miss teaching in the high school. But, when I am still nestled in my bed at 8 a.m tomorrow, I will try to tell myself, this is the life!.....for now!

Maren said...

These are some awsome pictures Danette. I have been trying to imagine what the kids look like that you work with. They look like some fun kids, and what a fun assembly. I wish I could have been there, really just to watch you get so excited about your kids. They are lucky to have such a great fan. -M

Jan said...

Keion, You are NOT cute, but extremely HANDSOME!!!!! Yes EXTREMELY HANDSOME.

Fun pictures Danette. I am happy you love your job.

Good luck Kylan!