Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Really, sometimes leaving a blank is better.

I so need to sneak my camera into the classroom and take pics of the students. That way when I have a story to share, you will have a visual to go along with the story.

Then again, I'm sure some of them wouldn't appreciate that. The funny thing is, the ones who do the most ridiculous things would WANT to have their picture on here. It is the other ones who care more who wouldn't.

Anyway, I wanted to share something that happened today at school.
One of the students already finished one of his computer classes and was ready to take the final.
I was the lucky one to grade the final when he was finished.

First of all, he didn't do well at all.

Secondly, he should have just left the ones he didn't know blank, because the responses he came up with were just too much.

Here is my favorite.
Question: Describe the difference between carpetbaggers and scalawags? (U.S. History)
Answer: (word for word) Carpetbaggers made carpet (there wasn't even carpet making during this time period) and scalawags picked corn.


You may not find this as funny as I did. I told this to Kylan and he didn't think it was too funny. He didn't know what a scalawag was so the idea that it was someone picking corn wasn't too far fetched.
FYI- these names were derogatory terms used after the Civil War. Carpetbaggers were white business men from the North who moved South during the reconstruction. Scalawags were the white Republican Southerners who sympathized with the federal reconstruction effort.

Today the students also had to sign up to play in the inner-class games for Homecoming. I will DEFINITELY be taking my camera for that. It is going to be awesome. We also have to be in the parade next Friday. I'm hoping to get out of that, I'm going to use Keion as my excuse. I'll just take pics when they come by and watch the parade rather than be in it.

Can I just say it again, I LOVE MY JOB!

6 comments:

Burrups said...

That's too funny! Aren't kids the best!! I am so glad you are enjoying your job. That makes life so much easier.

Heber and his "Deli" aka: Adele said...

I say you've got to give him credit for at least trying to come up with something that sounds somewhat intelligent.

I bet you are going to get a lot of laughs this year. I'm happy you aren't grading my papers from HS....you would really be laughing. Somehow I always managed to get A's though (hooray for tenured teachers who are simply just coasting through to retirement!).

Kristi said...

Oh, working with students...I am right there with ya! Last night a student emailed me, "Is this History or English class?" Of course it is English, but it is American Lit. and we learn a bit about the history of the time the works were written as well. I explained all that to him. He emailed me back, "Is this something I will ever use in the future?" I wanted to reach through the computer an strangle him! I wanted to email back something rude about how ignorant he was. I did not. I sent a lovely email explaining in detail how helpful the knowledge he was gaining would be to him. He then emailed back and wrote, "Oh sure but how helpful is learning to bake a cake when you are supposed to be learning to drive a car!" Seriously, I am so glad I teach from home. I don't know if I could handle the face to face interaction anymore!

Kristi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kerri said...

Maybe leaving it blank is really sometimes better but not nearly as entertaining, right?! There is nothing better than being paid for being entertained.

Jen said...

Hilarious!! Even better that you like your job. Makes everything in life better.