Saturday, May 2, 2009

Running

Today I went for the longest run I've had since starting back. It was nothing spectacular but I made all 8 miles PLUS the mile sprint work-out, non-stop! I've never had a problem with needing to stop, mainly because I know if I do, I will never be able to start again. I'm looking to do a half in June with some girlfriends. This could be the year for a full but I'm not making any promises. I don't want to get burned out like I did last time and then have to go through the torturous process of getting back into running. That was horrible. I started out several weeks ago barely able to do a mile. Yes, 1 mile. It was horrible. Slowly but surely I've been making my way back.
I always say this and it's true, if you want to run, you can do it. Anyone can do it. All you have to do is start slow and steady and work your way up.
If anyone has suggestions for some easy marathons let me know. I know St. George is easy (ok. is any marathon easy? No, but it is mostly down hill, that's what I'm looking for).
Hopefully I can find one that is closer to home.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow. I'm impressed. I keep wanting to slowly build my runs up but I always fizzle out before I get above 2 miles. Any advice?
Here's a link to a few MI marathons this year:
http://www.runningintheusa.com/RacesByState.asp?State=MI&Month=0&RaceTypeID=1
Good luck!

Melissa said...

Here's a shorter link too...
http://www.runningintheusa.com/Races.asp

hayley said...

Dang gina, I think my running days are over. Although its definitely the best way to get in shape fast. I totally think you should do a full marathon.

Jan said...

Well, I am not sure ANYONE can do it. You probably need a couple of qualififications on that. However, you are awesome. Good job!

St George would be good. Come for it, I'll go down there to cheer you on.

The G-5+2 said...

There is the St. Jude in Memphis that is pretty good I think. You would be welcome to stay with us if you wanted. Look into it.

Andrew and "Andrea" McCracken said...

We would love for you to run the St. George Marathon and come back and stay!!! You can even sign the book again! Best of luck, I love racing, it is such an adrenaline rush. I would love to do a full marathon! Best of luck!

Sharisa said...

You are awesome! I am going to try and start. (when you see me in a week you will see why, something about turning 40 does strange things to your body/and so does a birthday cake remix-coldstone ice cream addiction!) Keep up the good work!

christine said...

Okay okay I get it!