Saturday, July 4, 2009

Charlevoix Half Marathon

This was the half marathon crew.

Two of the other girls who came with us did the 10k walk. One of the gals was pregnant and couldn't run and the other was nice enough to walk with her.

Andrea, in the middle, is a little running machine. I'm trying to talk her into helping me train for a full marathon. She has alread done 2 this year. Yikes.

Tobey, on the far left, ran in her first half.

As I've said before, if you really want to, you can do it too!
Photobucket
The half was a turn-about at mile 6.5. Here Andrea is just ahead of me as she looped around and we gave each other a happy high 5. That smile didn't last long at all.
Photobucket
This is the finish. I'm literally about to cross the timing mat. I also look like I'm going to puke, I really thought I might.

Sorry about the immodest gut hanging out. It was the last of my worries at this point. I couldn't have sucked in if I tried anyway!
Photobucket
Here we all are post race. Overall we had such a fun time. The car ride up, staying in an awesome hotel and just hanging out being girls.
Photobucket
This bridge was right outside our balcony. We walked out the front door and were at the starting line. It was perfect. Charlevoix is gorgeous. I want to take my family back up there.
Photobucket Here are some pictures from the running route. Too bad I was so miserable I couldn't enjoy any of it.
Photobucket Charlevoix is next to Lake Michigan on the north western side of the state.
Photobucket This path was a little over a mile long and as pretty as it was, you couldn't look down as you ran or it made you dizzy. Well, that was what it was like for me anyway.
Photobucket
PhotobucketI

I wish the run would have been a little better.

I was comparing it too much to that last one I did. I was in FAR better shape when I ran that one and I think I'm more of an Urban runner.

I love the large crowds, tons of people and all that the Urban run has to distract me from the pain I'm in! This was beautiful but quiet and only a small group of runners.

I really want to run the Detroit full marathon. It will come down to time and the ability to train for it. Anyone want to join me??

6 comments:

Laci said...

It looks like a beautiful run! Good luck with the Detroit marathon!

Ashley said...

Oh Danette, I love you for thinking I could run a marathon this summer. You have to train for these things, non? Truly, I struggle with running and it would take months to get the stamina. Maybe next summer? Your group looks so fun, I'm totally tempted with the girl time!

Kristi said...

Gut? Please girl! You were blessed with a flat stomach. Relish in it! The course looks beautiful. I think you should definitely do the full. Then we can complain and whine about achy legs, and bad runs together! The things we do....

Burrups said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Burrups said...

Great job and you look awesome!! The scenery does look beautiful! You should talk Kaid into doing the Detroit marathon with you. She loves to run and doing marathons.

Heber and his "Deli" aka: Adele said...

ME...me, me, me!! Count me in for Detroit!!!! ha ha

Way to go Danette. Amanda was just asking me the other day if you had run any races lately.