Monday, July 13, 2009

Give your opinion, please!

Ok. here is the situation.
I need to put some shelving in Keion's room to put all of his trophies on.
My sister had this shelving in her little boys room and I loved it.
I thought I would do something similar until I showed Kylan.
He thinks it is too baby-ish. He doesn't think it would look good
in a teenage boys room.
I think it would look less childlike if the stuff on the walls and shelves
weren't baby stuff.
I really like the bead board across the top of the room with shelving.
What do you think? Too young or could it look good in a teenage room?
(if I were to do this in Keion's room, I would have shelves on both
sides of the window)


























10 comments:

christine said...

Here's what I think. No bead board just a solid stripe painted in there of some "manly" color and instead of the traditional looking shelves to shelves that are more modern looking or the ones that "float". Do you know what I'm talking about? IKEA has some great ones.

Danette said...

We had some IKEA shelves up and they came crashing down. No more IKEA shelves for me, but I still love the place!
No matter what, the shelves will be custom made.

The G-5+2 said...

I think it could work. You just need to use the right paint colors and shelves. Plenty of people have shelves it is all about how you do it. I am with Christine do something cool with paint instead of the bead board. good luck.

Anonymous said...

still do the beadboard, just paint it manly (tan, black would be cool, the trophies would show up better!) use skateboards for shelves (see pottery barn). Good Luck!

Danette said...

Ok, I thought I had more friends than this but thanks for those who have shared an opinion!
I'm not sure about just painting...hmmm. I do like the idea of painting the board and shelves black. That was the color of the other shelves that fell down and the color of the items framed on his wall.
If anyone else comes and reads, feel free to still leave a comment. We are still undecided at this point.

karrie jo Winder said...

I think it is a good idea to paint the shelves and board a darker color. We painted to match the trim that was already in the room. Also, once he has his stuff on the walls it will look good. Aaron was worried it would look too girly... I think with thicker trim and brackets on the shelves it looks boyish. What does Keion think???

Burrups said...

I tried to email you but maybe you didn't get it. We have done different custom shelves in our kids' rooms for trophies and such. I can email you pics that way you can see some different ideas if you want. Just let me know!

hayley said...

Bead-board is not babyish at all to me. I LOVE the white bead-board with the white shelves and agree that if there are trophies up there it won't look babyish. Also what color are his walls. I think a dark color on the walls with the contrasting white gives a nice clean look. But if the walls are light I would do a deep dark color on the shelves to contrast the white bead-board and light walls.

Kristi said...

It's Keion's room. I vote you let HIM decided. It would be fun for him. Take him around and let him choose shelving, paint, etc. There's a lot of cool stuff out there. Even Home Depot and Lowe's have a good selection of shelving. It will be fun for him to decide and have ownership in a space that is all his own. The older kids get, the more importnat their own space is to them. I think Keion will choose wisely. Give him the freedom, sit back and see what happens. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Jen said...

I am totally late on posting here but with teenage stuff and different colors it would be great. I don't think there is anything babyish about the beadboard or shelves themselves, it is just the colors and accessories on the wall in that room.