Thursday, November 15, 2007

What's Lurking On Your Toothbrush?

Kei brought home this wonderful book based on the Discovery Channel show, Mythbusters. Read it at your own risk. Ky found this juicy bit of info in it last night. The myth: If your toothbrush is left out on the counter near the toilet, then it is likely that fecal (dookie) bacteria can land on your toothbrush (specifically the bristles).
Hold on to your seat! The test the mythbusters performed had a toothbrush in a holder on the counter next to the toilet and one that was covered in the kitchen.
They performed the experiment for one month and guess what they found out?
Yes, you are all potty mouths. When you flush the toilet, the poo goes airborne.
Even the toothbrush in the kitchen had the fecal bacteria on it. Basically, the fecal coliform bacteria are an unavoidable part of daily living. Poo is everywhere!
So when your co-worker, friend or husband/wife breaths on you and it smells like they just ate a dookie sandwich- maybe they just brushed their teeth!

10 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for the lovely information.

Dixon's said...

LOL..the things you wish you never read. I always put the lid down when I flush hopefully that helps. :)

Jan said...

Apparently the saying 'your full of s---" is not so far off for some.

Laci said...

Yuck! I don't know if I wanted to know that little tid-bit or not.
Ignorance really is Bliss sometimes...

Ashley said...

No, oh no, please no. Now what? I know I'll never be good at keeping my toothbrush covered in the kitchen.

Heber and his "Deli" aka: Adele said...

Hmm...I don't know if I should Thank you for the warning or not.

Kirsten said...

SERIOUSLY disgusting!!! We're better off not knowing some things. Innocence is actually better in this case!!!

Bonnie said...

You always make me laugh. I heard about that a while ago. Now I flush with the lid down and keep my tooth brush in a cover inside of sealed container. I may be OCD, but at least I'm not brushing with poop!

hayley said...

I am glad to know that. You know I am not a germ-a-phobe. And stories like that me feel reasonable in my feelings about germs. What's the big deal if your kid is chewing on your sandal? Or a toothbrush that's old? A little dirt, or poop, doesn't hurt! Looking forward to more post that make me laugh during the long haul of winter:)

DeGooyer Family said...

All I can say is YUCK!!!