Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Hepworth Farm

Hold on, this is going to be a long one.
We went to Rupert yesterday to visit Kylan's family's farm. What a blast.
When Kylan was 11 years old, just like Keion, his parents forced him to drive a car for the first time. He didn't want to at all and bawled the entire time (wussy).
Kylan thought it would be a fun idea to have Keion try for his first time on the same country, gravel road.
The only difference, Keion loved it and was excited to give it a try. He would have loved it more if I wasn't in the back freaking out all the time. I'm a horrible backseat driver.
Keion sat on a skateboard so that he could see over the steering wheel. That was funny. Kylan held it still so it wouldn't move. We weren't planning on this drivers training lesson so we were a little unprepared. Hey, it worked nonetheless.
Kylan is giving Keion his first instructions.
We are getting ready to leave the park position and head into drive.
It's hard to tell but Keion is totally grinning.
He hasn't used the gas but no longer has his foot on the break so we are just coasting along.
Keion is getting more comfortable and has givin' the car a little gas so we are up to 10 mph.
Here we are just cruizin' along.
Wow, Keion is even going to turn the corner by himself.
Turning, turning, turning, and he made it!!! Pretty darn good if I don't say so myself.
Now he thinks he is a pro and bumps it up to 30 mph. This is when I start to get a little uneasy in the backseat.
Keion even parked the car and drove us out of the farm when we left. He loved it and Kylan was a great teacher. They will both do better next time without me in the car!
We were not quite ready to be at the farm. None of us had the proper clothing to do all of the stuff we wanted to but that didn't stop us.
I was fortunate to find a pair of pants in the closet so that I could go on the 4-wheeler.
Kylan wanted a picture of his grandparent's kitchen where he spent a LOT of time as a kid. It brought back so many wonderful memories for him to be back at the farm and in the house.
Uncle Craig let us take the 4-wheeler around the farm and this little boy Christian, whose father works on the farm, wanted to race us on his bike. He didn't speak English but Kylan tried to talk with him in Spanish so I think he thought we were buddies. You can't tell but he is peddling as fast as he possibly can to keep up (he looks like he is going to bust those little tires).
But not fast enough. He was eating our dust, literally.
The farm has both dairy and crop.
It didn't stink as bad as I thought it would. Not that you would want to have a candle made in this aroma but it wasn't as foul as some of the dairies I've driven by in Idaho.
Kylan was showing us the in's and out's of milking the cows. It was like we were on a field trip.
We went to the well where the water is pumped in. It looked crystal clear and we were bummed that we didn't have better clothes for jumping in. Next time.
I just had to feel how cold the water was but didn't want to fall in.
Just like river water, it was take-your-breath-away freezing!
Back at the farm, Kyle (Kylan's cousin), taught Keion how to ride the 4-wheeler.
Keion was lovin' life.
Just when he thought he couldn't' have any more fun in a day, Uncle Quinn took him for a ride on his motorcycle. Keion loved listening to the music and talking through the microphone on the helmet. What a blast.
It was a long day out at the farm but such a great time. Kylan shared stories with us and it was so enjoyable spending time with all of his family. Next time we will be more prepared with proper farm attire and take a dip in that well.

7 comments:

Laura said...

glad you guys had fun! i didnt know you had never been out there before. last summer ryan and i and friends went for a dip in the well. we jumped in maybe 5 times each. its cold and def. takes your breath away. the best thing about jumping in is taking a big drink while under. its the best water you can get!! next time you are getting in for sure!

Heber and his "Deli" aka: Adele said...

How fun!! Way to go Keion....just what I was looking for, a babysitter who can drive themself to my house. Do you think MI to OH is to much to ask!

Jen A. said...

What a great day, with some great memories! You guys think you will end up on a farm?!?! Keion would love it!!

Bex said...

That is awesome! You guys had a lot of fun! My husband's dad is from Rupert what a small world! That is nice you got to spend time with family its hard to be so far away from them.

Kirsten said...

Wow, that brought back a lot of memories for me just seeing all of the pictures. I could tell where you guys were in every picture. I'm glad you had so much fun and got to see it. fyi... I didn't cry when it was my turn to drive. I was probably mad that they took my turn away to give to Kylan who didn't really want it! :)

Kirsten said...

p.s. Keion looked like a pro!!! I'm glad he wanted to drive. I looked forward to that every time we went to the farm.

Bonnie said...

How fun! I still can't believe Keion is 11 years old.time is flying!