Tuesday, October 7, 2008

BANNED

From what exactly?
According to the doctor, anything and everything. We have known that Keion has allergies but we didn't know to what extent. A couple of weeks ago he had a blood test to see what he should be avoiding. The test was geared more to the elements here in the Midwest and the results were pretty shocking. Not unexpected, but more than what I thought.
For the average person their degree or number of allergens or something like that, is typically around 114 (I know I'm not saying this right but Kylan isn't here to give me the medical terms). Keion's test came back and his number is 1,920! Holy cow. At least you get the picture.
He is allergic to trees, grass, dogs, cats, COCKROACHES, certain elements in the soil and tons of other things that I can't pronounce. Oh ya, mold, but who isn't allergic to mold (I have mold issues)? Oh wait, a new one, Penicillin-I'm pretty sure he has had that antibiotic on more than one occasion but it didn't kill him so that is good. Now we know.
He has been prescribed Claritin and some other drug Kylan will be bringing home tonight. He will be on them for a couple months and if they don't help...well then we are off to an allergy specialist. More than likely, shots. Ouch. Keion doesn't want to go that route so hopefully this will work.
If you have read this blog at all you know that Keion is very active and keeping him inside away from the things he is allergic to, is never going to happen. I'm just thankful for modern medicine so that he can still enjoy doing the things he loves without all the symptoms. By the way, how do you like my Photoshoping skills? Not so good.

11 comments:

Judaloo said...

Agh! Poor kid. Allergies are the worst. Hopefully this stuff works and he doesn't have to do the shots.

Jan said...

Wow!! He is allergic to everything. Hopefully the Clariton and new drug will help him out. I am amazed how well he has done inspite of all the allergies. He will probably think he is the bionic man when he really starts feeling good because he probably doesn't realize how crummy he really feels.

Anonymous said...

Keion sounds like my older daughter. When she was tested I felt like she needed to live in a bubble! Now she does floral design and somehow manages, without having gone through the shots because she threatened to run away from home if we made her. She regrets now that she didn't. They even tested her for gerbils - the one pet she wasn't allergic to!! So guess what I have living with me now -- 2 gerbils and the returned-to-the-nest daughter!

Heber and his "Deli" aka: Adele said...

Poor Kei....hopefully the medication will help.

hayley said...

Hurry back to the west:) I can't believe how bad Will's allergies were in the midwest and I had allergies and that weird eczema stuff. Now we don't notice any allergies. Hopefully wherever Kylan gets a job his allergies will be better. Yeah, keep a kid inside all day??? yeah right:) Hang in there Keion!

Jana Dille said...

check on my website under the glimpse post and go to the Xango link. Xango works miracles on allergies. Joe used to take 2 claritin per day and after being on Xango for a short period he has never been on it since. If you can't find much info email me and let me know and give me your address and I'll send you some info and maybe some to try. Better than drugs and chemicals. It really works wonders and hundreds of other things too. I don't get migraines anymore because of it and my mom doesn't have irritable bowel syndrome anymore either. It's awesome.

Kirsten said...

At least there is a medical reason for him always sniffing! And you guys always gave him such a bad time- sheeesh! :) No fun, but at least now he can get some medicine. Hang in there Ke!

Burrups said...

Oh the poor thing! I know exactly how he feels. I have allergies just like him. I take the shots and they help a ton. Hopefully the presciptions will help so he won't have to do shots because they are no fun.

Sara said...

I always knew there was something weird about that kid...just kidding! Keion is the best kid we know! I'm just sad he's allergic to Boo.

Sharisa said...

I hope that he is allergic to girls as well because if he is not....Heaven help you!! He is a cutie pie.

;) Sharisa

Maren said...

Sorry Keion. I have allergies too. They are miserable. Thank goodness for drugs, eh? -M oh, what a stinkin cute picture!