Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Feb. 9, 2008

..Kylan and I have decided to forgo our cruise to Alaska and use the money to do one final infertility treatment. I wanted to go on the cruise so badly and Kylan deserves it after all the hard work he has put into medical school, but I know we would feel guilty not trying everything possible to have children. There is going to be plenty of opportunities for us to go on a cruise, especially if this doesn't work. It seems weird to think we could be empty nesters in less than 7 years. I've already started the medications and shots and within another week we will be doing the extraction and implantation. The IM injection can be painful. Kylan gives them to me in my back hip. The other night it hurt so bad and my muscle was involuntarily spasming and contracting. Ouch. I think he should try to put them in a more fatty area, heaven knows there is plenty there!
Here is just a small version of some of the drugs I had to take. There were several more and many different ones even for the frozen cycle.
Let me introduce the office staff. They were absolutely amazing and so supportive.
Theresa is like a vampire. She is always wanting my blood! My worst fear is having to go in on Wed. and the weekend when she isn't working, the other girl doesn't do as well of a job and when you are on your 10th day in a row of getting your blood drawn, you want the best of the best doing it. My poor veins were deteriorated and bruised, I looked like a drugy..I was on a lot of drugs so I guess that fits!

Here is Sandra. She is the one that wiped out our wallet. She does all the insurance and billing, plus anything and everything else that needs to be done in the office. If she is not there, the place falls apart (almost). She is always smiling like this, even when the doc is being a grump. I tell Kylan that he is going to need an amazing office staff, they make all the difference in the world.
Meet Jim. He took care of all of our potential babies. He is the embryologist and knows way more about my insides than anyone ever should =)
Although the treatments didn't work, we know that Jim did all that he could to nurture those eggs along.

February 18, 2008
Today I am up at 4:45. I have to go to Akron for the egg retrieval. We believe at this point there are 10 eggs. I've been taking up to 4 shots and several pills a day. I can't wait until I am done with that part of things. I'll also be glad when I don't have to go and have my blood drawn and a vaginal ultrasound every day. The nurse who works on the weekend had a horrible time finding my veins and stuck me 4 times while digging around. I actually have really nice veins so I'm not sure why she was having such difficulty. I'm getting ready to take my Valium (Diazepam). I'm not sure how well I'm going to do considering I haven't eat in such a long time...My friend Rachel will come over today and hang out with Keion until we get home. I'll write when I get back and report how it goes.

4 comments:

Shane and Amy Jo said...

Hi Danette,

This is Amy from good ol' Tuxedos Now!!! Hope you don't mind me looking in on your blog. Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you. We got our twins through IVF so I can absolutely relate to what you are experiencing. Not a fun process. Thankfully, it worked for us the first time. Let's face it, shots STINK!!! I remember being all bruised and looking like a drugy. I had to continue shots of a different medication through the first trimester once I was pregnant. I thought my poor backside would never recover!:) I'm not sure I could have done it more than once...but who knows, we may come to that road again in the future. We have lots of frozen babies which is a little creepy to think about!:) It's hard to understand why we get the challenges we do but I know that we are better for it. I sure hope it works for you. I always liked feeling validated by others who had been there as well. Keep us posted. I'll be looking for a link to that infertility blog...that would be awesome. Good Luck.
Amy

Kathy Pace said...

My skin is crawling just looking at all those needles and thinking about all the blood draws. I think it's amazing the sacrifice you're going through to try and sacrifice even more by being a mom :) Best of luck, I'll be thinking about you and hoping, hoping, hoping it works!

Ashley said...

Sorry, that last comment was from me :) Didn't realize I was logged in under my mom-in-law.

Laura said...

I did notice you were doing this. At first when i started reading it i thought you were going through it again. I didnt realize it was a journal entry. You are one tough cookie for going through all this. My parents are getting so excited to come - i wish i got to come along too.. But cant wait to see you in JUNE!!