Thursday, April 10, 2008

HELP WANTED

I need you opinions on toilet seat covers. This will help me avoid a debate, with Ky, over the subject. I can't tell you what side I'm on because I want your honest opinions and I don't want anyone feeling like they have to take sides. You know, guys stick with guys and girls stick with girls. It's how we survive! Not that too many guys leave comments on this blog but hey, there is always a first. By the way, what is it with guys acting like blogging is such a waste of time, yet they look and read over blogs continuously? Such phony bolognies.



Here are the options. Toilet with no padded covering on the top.. (side note, I love the dual flush option on this toilet, not that I'm going to be able to get one anytime soon but if I had the choice I would pick it-GO GREEN!)
..or a toilet with a covering such as the one below.
It will also help if you give the why or why not explanation. All random and not so random readers please respond, everyone's input counts! I'll let you know what I decide to do. I'm being bombarded with all of these earth shattering (much sarcasm here) decisions now that we have our own home to plan for =)
(a little clarification. after reading some of the comments, i'm talking about the removable cover that can be washed, not an actual soft lid. so cover or no cover?)

16 comments:

Jen said...

I say the hard cover seat. It is much easier to clean. Boys are so messy and tend to miss their mark quite often and the soft seats are harder to sanitize.

Abby said...

Remember that blog you posted about microscopic fecal matter flying into the air when you flush? Well, the soft covers trap germs like they're hundred dollar bills.
Go with the hard cover.

robertsfamof5 said...

I like the hard cver with a cover from the store that can come off and on. Hard is easier to clean! Then you can also throw the fabric cover in the wash whenever. That still gives some padding.

Samantha said...

One pro of a padded cover is quiet closer but it is by far better to go without. With two boys in your household, yuck. Not worth the washing. Unless you could get one that looks like a snowman and then I would say it is a must have.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I am comfused with the above responses, but I am going to answer with my understanding. I think there is a lid in the toilet for a reason, which would be to shut it. Therefore, if you like a toilet lid cover at all, it should show when the lid is shut. I personally like a toilet lid shut except when using. So for me, yes on the toilet cover, put on the outside so when the lid is shut, which would be all the time that a butt in not on it, or a male is not peeing in it. And, I think since it is removable, it is not big deal to wash, and the spash of color is nice on the sterile white porcelan bus.

The funny thing about responding that I am now laughing about, is that I actually am recognizing that I feel quite passionate about a toilet lid. I must need some counceling.

Jana Dille said...

Hey this is Jana, thanks for posting! I'd love to hear more about your story with your son and your ivf. If you have time and don't mind my email is jldxango@hotmail.com. I'm from Buhl, but I played against your husbands sister in high school ball. I recognize your husband and you look a little familiar too, maybe from city league. And yes it's the same team you're thinking of. It's changed a bit since 5 years ago, but they have 3 or 4 coaches and I think they play together a little so of course they are gonna win. Oh well, I'm used to it! Someday. Good talking to you.

p.s. Seat cover, easy to wash and they don't get that dirty unless someone has bad aim. Either way, I have one with a cover and one without! Jana

Kirsten said...

I'm a fan of the cover and I have to agree with my mom that the toilet seat MUST be down. SO gross to leave it up! The covers aren't that big of a deal to wash.

Kristi said...

No, to the cover. I think they are a bother. My mom had them on our toilet seats growning up. They always seemed to fit weird and look grimy. I too am afraid of the germs lurking within them as well. Plus, it's one less thing to clean, bother with, buy, etc. I think toilets look cleaner without them, but what do I know?

paulak said...

Hi,
My name is Paula. I was visiting my friend Jana's blog and saw your comment. I hope you don't mind me stopping by.
I too am interested in your story. I did not do the whole IVF like you or Jana, not an option for us. Our daughter is adopted and we are getting ready for another one. My parents live in Twin Falls and I lived there for quite sometime. Did your husband go to Twin Falls High School, he might know my sisters. Here is my email address. kankanweeks@yahoo.com
I would love to hear your story too.
paula

Dusty & Raphael said...

Hey Danette,
You're so nice. I had Dusty check your comment and now I can't get him off your blog (he's one of THOSE guys :). Your new house is gorgeous and your blog is so fun. We'll stalk it often -
Raphael

Jen said...

I have no covers, at least partially because I am lazy, and the ones I have had in the past got stretched out or misshaped after washing. Although if you have to sit on the toilet seat while watching a kid in the tub, in can be nice to have a little padding.

Brian said...

I don't understand the debate... man toilets don't have lids. In fact half the time we just pee in the shower to save time. If we have to crap we wait 'til we're at the office so we can spend as much uninterrupted man-time as possible the pursuit of happiness.

Heber and his "Deli" aka: Adele said...

No cover. I think it is just one extra thing in the bathroom to have to wash.

Judaloo said...

hard cover seat for reasons of fecal matter and germs in general. Do you sit ont he lid of your toilet that much to really need a soft cover?

Jen A. said...

No covers, I don't like the furry look!

Anonymous said...

d - it's kevin. personaly and professionaly (so glad I can throw that out there) I like no cover. It's more simple and elegant. I would suggest that you get a toilet seat that has a soft close option. The lid can be dropped and it automatically catches and closes softly. Brilliant designers.

http://www.totousa.com/productpage.asp?PID=670

notice on the side there is a feature for softclose.

you may be able to buy something like this at home depot.