Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Cross Roads Village

Keion earned some free passes to the Cross Roads Village from the summer reading program. If you don't utilize your public library...you should! I'm such an advocate. There are programs for kids of all ages and you get goodies for reading, pretty darn good if you ask me.
I was happy we had FREE passes for our first time to the village. I wanted to check it out before deciding if we wanted to buy an unlimited family pass for the year.
I don't.
Not that it wasn't a fun little place but just not anything we would go back for. Maybe Halloween or Christmas, we hear they deck the place out for the holidays so that might be fun but not worth the year pass for us.
There is a train ride you can take, and we did. Supposedly they have a Thomas the Train ride you can do sometimes and I know a lot of kids who would love that. Keion not being one of them!
Anyway, the boys wanted to be in the caboose.
They were able to get a seat on top of the caboose where they were able to grab leaves off trees and get sprinkled with rain. Keion is trying to grab some leaves in this picture. Unfortunately I couldn't get my camera settings changed quick enough to snap a picture of the train as we were turning a corner. All I got was this blurry shot..
..and this shot after the train was disappearing behind the trees. Shucks.
Here is a shot out the back as we are putting along. We were traveling at 18 mph.
The village is a town with shops set up like they would have been when the railroad was first built in the town. It was pouring rain for most of the time we were there but we were able to stay inside for the worst of it and the boys played checkers to pass the time.Kylan was great to map out our course so we would be in the rain as least as possible. He is such an organizer! This is also the barber shop.
The boys went on a scavenger hunt to find clues that were found in all the different houses and shops. Once they got their card filled with all the answers to the clues they were able to get a prize. This little bug catcher they are sporting below is what they got for their prize. They thought they were lame but enjoyed the hunt anyway. I'm sure some younger kids thought they were cool.
Afterwards we headed for McDonald's to grab a bite to eat and dry off. The boys may have been too big for the bug catchers but not for the climbing toys in McD's. Go figure!
(just a little side note, I've had to ask Keion how to spell a couple words as I've typed this, is that sad or what??) (some of you will go back through and try to figure out what words I possibly didn't know how to spell!!)

9 comments:

robertsfamof5 said...

Too funny. I went with the Pentels and Tiffany Sweeny on Sunday. When did you guys go? I agree. It is a cool place, but not worth year round passes.

Kristi said...

I am going for supposedly and caboose....am I right?!

Danette said...

Krisit you are the best. I can't think of the other word now, I'll have to ask Keion, but one of them was caboose!!

Raquel said...

Very fun. I bit of history to walk thru, is so great for kids and ME.

Kirsten said...

Good thing 2 out of 3 in your household are great spellers. They can help you out and you don't have to worry about it! Keion always makes everything look so much fun. Even if he's just hamming it up for the camera. I would have ridden the Thomas train! And I would have wanted my picture taken in it!

valerie said...

Hey how did you guys get the awesome seats on the train!! We sat in the first car and had to cover our ears every time the train whistle blew. I was so close to buying a season pass too but I was glad I waited and saw it first using those free library passes. It was fun but not worth a season pass.

Burrups said...

That looks like so much fun!! You guys take such cute pictures too!

Kristi said...

Thank you for leaving me a comment. That was so nice.Keion looks like you had fun.PAYTON

Erin said...

That looks like a cool place. I know Benjamin would DIE to get to ride on a train like that. But then, he's three years old. I've never heard of Cross Roads Village... you are living in UT now, right? Or maybe I'm confused and live in a different state now. :)