I really am a bear when I don't get my sleep. Just ask Kylan. I said I need a good 8 hours of sleep to be happy and then he said, "more like 10"! Whatever.
Last night Kylan was on call. I did my little routine of staying awake as long as possible to wear myself out and fall right to sleep, without lying in bed tossing and turning and jumping at every little noise.Well, I read my book for an hour and then turned the t.v. on to catch up on the news. I love CNN! It was now around 1:00 a.m. and I decided I should probably try to go to sleep. Pretty tough to get those 10 hours in if I go to bed too late!
I started skimming through a couple channels before turning it off and guess what? Extreme Makeover was on. I couldn't go to bed and not see how these two sisters were going to turn out. I was sucked in. Have I mentioned before that I'm a reality t.v. junkie? Well, I am. The first step to recovery as admitting you have a problem and at least I'm not in denial over it.
Speaking of reality t.v... any of you watch So You Think You Can Dance? LOVE IT. And yes, I do think I can dance, in my dreams anyway.
So back to the other show.. the two sisters looked incredible. They were both born with cleft lips and palates and the doctor fixed them both so that you could barely tell. The biggest transformation was the teeth. Why is it that a pearly white smile can make anyone look good? I must admit that I was a little teary eyed when they had their reveal.
It just goes to show that there REALLY is beauty in everyone.
Now that the show is over and feel like I can go to bed, it's 2:00 a.m. For some crazy reason I didn't fall right to sleep. Argh. A few noises did make me jump and I went down and made sure those doors were locked...only the 2nd time I had done it.
This is ridiculous. I can't keep myself up every night Kylan is gone on call. But what do I do? I know a lot of you go through this so what is your technique? Please share your tips for getting through the night.
If you don't have any problem with it, don't comment, I don't want to know what a wimp I am. Just kidding. But really, I do need some ideas so everyone share!



9 comments:
I have that problem a lot too. And usually what happens is exactly what you described.
It gets easier when it they're gone regularly. You get used to it.
But if you get any good advise please pass it on to me.
It does get easier, but I bring my dog in the house when Ryan is on call. It helps me A LOT! I figure he will hear something and warn me of anything before I ever know of it.
Hah! I LOVE LOVE LOVE so you think you can dance. Even better the american idol. I wish it was on in the fall, because it seems I always miss stuff with summer being so crazy. As for the advice. hmm, since i feel deathly sick at night and tend to throw up, before i go to bed I take half a unisom, sleeping pill, it also is for nausea. apparently sleep and nausea are them same receptors , so i have no problem falling asleep. But in June I did them same thing as you, stay up a little later so I would be a little bit more tired. But I think sometimes if you stay up just ten minutes too late you get your second wind:) Good luck. And definitely no scary shows while they aren't home!
I think I could have you beat on the reality t.v. thing. It seems that's all I watch. I love so you think you could dance. I'm pulling for Josh, I think he's so good. I love them all though. I'm getting all pumped up for The biggest loser. You gotta watch that if you don't already. Good luck with the sleeping thing. I agree with the girl above, take half a unisom a 1/2 hour before you want to go to bed. Good luck!
Hey Danette!
It's me, Megan Harward. Really it never gets easier(even now, Kory is gone a lot during the night, those darn babies are so inconsiderate...j/k...but life has to move on so you will eventually get some sleep and you might start to just get use to it. I have slept thru the night with the t.v. on the whole time... a good boring channel that is sure to bring you some zzzz's? qvc. Good luck. glad to see you guys are doing well!
I like the house dog idea. Good time to get a little house dog that would warn you of anything...like a shit-zuh...hmmmm just and idea.
Why is it for the most part it's okay to be alone during the day or even during the evening when you're awake but the second it is time to crawl in bed and go to sleep we get freaked out. Next time he's gone call me, I find it helps to lay in bed talking until you are about to dose off! I hear ya on the reality tv, it is my guilty pleasure. By the way Keion's story was so cute and innocent, I love it!!
It's funny that you posted about this. Robert leaves Sunday for Montana for a week. I have been contemplating going to Pocatello, seeing if a friend will come stay, begging my brother to stay the night, etc. I hate sleeping alone! With out a doubt, I will freak myself out. I know this time is going to be bad. I watched scary movies every night at the cabin. It has been years since I have done that. I cut them out after The Sixth Sense. I love scary movies and just couldn't resist this last weekend. So, every night since, I have woken up scared in the middle of the night and had bad dreams. So, I guess my advice is.....don't watch scary movies! I guess it will just take getting used to sleeping alone. Other than that, know you are not alone feeling freaked out in the middle of the night! Sorry!!!!
I've been doing one night a week alone for the last 7 years. The TV is your best friend for this. I find that it works best to find a show you can leave it on and try not to channel surf. Then get comfy and set the sleep timer. Allow yourself to close your eyes during the commercials and before you know it you'll be alseep and you won't have seen it coming. Good luck.
Post a Comment