What a crazy day. I came home two separate times to check on Keion (I work a mile from home!) and found him to be sitting on the couch watching t.v. or playing xbox, so he was more than happy that I wasn't home monitoring his time! He did snap a picture of me on my first day but forgot to ask me how my day was when I got home (refer back to this post).
The day started early with all of the school district employees meeting together at the high school for a message from the superintendent. It was amazing. People were crying all over the place.They started with the National Anthem, which was sung by the group Peaceful Authority, a group of police officers from Flint. They were dressed up in suits and wore their badges, for some reason it added to their amazing voices. It gave me the goosebumps.
After, there was a couple short messages by board members and then a video presentation that was put together for the teachers. The video was a gratitude video with past students sharing who their favorite teacher was and how they had influenced them for the better. It was put to music and well done.
There were several teachers who were honored for various reasons. A select school choir sang the song "For Good", from Wicked and then the Peaceful Authority sang with the choir the song, "Angels Among Us". It was very moving.
If the point of all the production was to make us feel inspired about working with students, they succeeded. I can't wait to start working with these kids.
In fact, I don't think I've clarified as to what job I'm actually doing these days. It's hard to keep up with me when I change jobs every other day!
I've finally committed to working with at-risk students at the high school (local). It is exactly what I wanted to do. I love helping troubled students realize what they are worth and what they are capable of. There is no greater reward than seeing one of them succeed.
Here is a little time line on how the job hunt went down:
Aug. 5th- Interview at the gym
Aug. 7th-Phone call from gym offering me the job.
Aug. 11th- Attend a 2 hour training at the gym. Hate it terribly.
Aug. 13th- I'm suppose to go to the gym again but call in and quit. Yes, after only 2 hours. I didn't even ask to be paid for those measly training hours. Oh well.
Aug. 15th-Interview at Davison High School. Same afternoon they call and offer me the position.
Aug. 18th- I go to Davison to fill out paperwork. I continue to look for a job because this is a 25 minute drive from my house. I hope something will come up.
Aug. 21st-Interview for position at local high school.
Aug. 22nd- Phone call from Van Y elementary asking if I would like an interview. I decline thinking it is far away (since I already have the other job). I run downstairs and google the school. I realize it is much closer than the current job I have so I call back the school and ask if I can renig on the decline. The principal schedules me for an interview.
Aug. 25th- Interview at Van Y elementary. As soon as I return home I get a phone call offering me the job at the local high school. I gladly accept.
I get another call from the local schools asking if I would like to come for an interview. I've officially decided to stay at the high school so I politely decline. It's one thing to quit a school district for another but I just didn't feel right about doing that within the school district, plus this was the job I wanted most.
I also waited until I knew the staff would be gone and then called and left a message with Davison schools to tell them that I decided to take a different position. I was suppose to start the next day. I felt horrible but it was better for me.
Aug. 26th-I had to hurry and call the Principal of the Van Y elementary to let him know that I was no longer interested in the position. During the interview I felt as if he might offer me the position and since I already had to call back and ask to be interviewed, I didn't want him calling me and offering me the position when I made it seem like I really wanted it. I did but not after I got the local high school job. No more interviews, no more switching jobs.
I'm committed. I've been to training for more than 2 hours :-) and I love the teachers I'm working with. You can't beat the school schedule, summers off, extended holidays, and done by 3:30 everyday. Oh ya, no weekends!!!
Plus I get a fat bonus in Dec. for not being able to use the insurance. Something about not being able to do double coverage and since Kylan's insurance is awesome, we are sticking with his.
I'm sure I will have stories to share so check back in a couple weeks, well check back before that but not for school stories!
Whew, that was a long one. Sorry for all the details, many of you have asked about the job and what has been going on. In Ohio I couldn't find a job to save my life, here, I've been overwhelmed with opportunities...I'm not going to complain (although going through all those interviews was torture).



14 comments:
Congrats on a new job that you want!! Always a plus. You will do great. Hope you love it.
congrats on your NEW job!! Sounds like a great job with awesome hours!!
Congrats! It sounds like it will be perfect for you!
Congratulations on your new job. You will be awesome at it. At-risk kids need someone who is fun and can take things in stride!
It sounds like a great school, Danette. I agree, working with at-risk students is a difficult, challenging, but rewarding adventure! I love your shirt! Where did ya get it?! Always looking classy, girl! :)
Congratulations!!! Such decisions, but as long as you feel great about it, that is awesome.
Congratulations! I think that is so awesome you are working with At-risk students! I attended an alternative high school for a little bit and those teachers I will never forget! You will be awesome! You know your in the right place when you get like 4 different jobs at the same time!
That will be nice to be busy! What did you go to school and study?
Congrats on your job. Interviews suck, but it sure must do wonders for your self-esteem to know that everyone wants you!
That is awesome about your new job!! So many kids need someone like you to help them. Way to go!!!!
That is crazy what you went through but I am glad you found a job that's close and that you will like! That sounds like quite the amazing first day
Congrats! I'm glad you got something you wanted. Bummer that a gym membership doesn't come along with the school job as well. :)
WOW!!! And people have a hard time getting ONE job! GO YOU!!! I am SO glad everything worked out as you hoped and prayed. There is no one better than you to motivate and inspire those youth! Excited for you, excited for them! =)
Danette that is hysterical! Talk about a headache! You are one wanted woman! I'm so glad that you got the job you want! You deserve it!
Post a Comment