Monday, August 18, 2008

New Hoop

We finally got Keion a new basketball hoop. He use to have a portable hoop that we didn't move with us. Keion didn't like it and it was time to upgrade.

The hole for the hoop needs to be 2 feet deep, according to the directions on the box. Well, where we live the the frost line is a little over 3 feet deep. Well that stinks because now our hole needs to be 4 feet deep. Kylan and Keion started strong..
..Keion did more observing than working!


The boys dug about 2 feet deep and the ground became hard as rocks. No tool was going to get through this dirt, at least not at the rate Kylan wanted it to. Today they started digging again and it wasn't long until the little boys in the neighborhood wanted to hang around Kylan and see what he was up to.
The boys were talking about using the hole as a hiding spot when they play night games.

Kylan dug a few more inches today and the called it quits. He decided to call the sports store and see if they had any referrals for someone to come put the hoop up (I suggested this from the very beginning but Kylan being...let's see what would be a nice word here...frugal, thought it would be just as well doing it himself).

Hopefully someone comes soon. I don't think the neighbors will enjoy the dirt pile in the driveway for too long. Kylan did a great job and could have finished it but who has time to dig 1/2 inch per hour (really that's how hard the ground is), not him and no way am I going to do it. On a side note, Keion tried out for a select travel soccer team tonight. He did awesome and of course made the team. Now we just have to decide if we have the time to commit to it.

6 comments:

Kristi said...

What a project...Kylan is a good dad! It will be worth it though...I envision Keion spending hours in the driveway playing on that hoop!....Kristi

Heber and his "Deli" aka: Adele said...

Ben will be jealous of the new hoop. He and Heber go outside and toss balls up on the roof of the garage and catch them when they come down....kinda sad now that I think of it!!

Maybe we should go buy us a big new hoop and have someone come install it for us too....that ought to really make up for not being allowed to have the swing set when the neighbor got the green light...Grrrrr!

MadMama said...

I love sitting back and waiting until the guys will stop their project and finally call someone! We are fixin our house up and John is fixin the sinks. Lets just say to replace a sink it took him a month! Lots and lots of visits to Home Depot! Oh well makes them feel good! :)

Maren said...

Hey Danette, I figure you check this more often than you check your answering machine, so let kylan know that I don't have the pick-axe. I have the pick-less axe. But I do have a stash of dynamite in the garage, so....let me know when to bring it over. Oh, and while I'm visiting your site here (nice place), let me just say that I happen to be an excellent gift wrapper (that may be only partly true), but we ran out of paper and I had to make do. I've actually made leaps and bounds in my wrapping skills in recent years. Ha!
-DH

Bonnie said...

How cute! I love the pic with all the neighbor kids. What a great dad!

valerie said...

What a project!! Looks like fun for the boys! I hope you get your hoop up soon!!