Election day. I'm so happy for it to be over. I'm sick of the automated phone messages from the candidates and the political emails everyone insists on sending out.
I am happy to report that one way or another I am going to be part history.
I just returned from voting and much to my surprise, there were no lines. Keion came with me to get extra credit in his social studies class plus I think it is important to show him that voting is something he should do when he is of age.
He had a mock election today at his school and I was surprised by his picks. He is one smart boy and used logic and reasoning to base his choice, not just his race. I'm not saying who he or I voted for but in the end we voted the exact same. Even on the local issues. I guess he listens to me and what we talk about at dinner after all.
Get out there and vote, if you don't, you don't have the right to complain about what happens in the next four years, and I bet my life that we are going to have a lot to complain about!
13 years ago



5 comments:
When Washington changed to mail in ballots only I thought I would miss the feeling of going to the booths to vote, but I must say that I feel just as patriotic voting in the comfort of my family room! We voted last week.
I too voted with no lines. That was awesome. I remember back when Ronald Reagan was first elected, Dan and I stood in a long snake like line for several hours in the evening at Robert Stuart Jr High. There was never an election with lines like that before. That election proved to be a very good election for this wonderful free country we are blessed to live in and be heirs of the brave men and women who have sacraficed their lives for us to live in this luxury of freedom.
This election is BIG. A history maker in many ways in its own uniqueness. However, I am saddened that when voting this time, I felt I was not voting for a candidate I was so impressed with, but voting with the hope of keeping the candidate out of office that is at the bottom of my list. I start to feel fear of where this wonderful country that is so great is headed, and then I think of the fulfilling of prophecies and know that it must get much worse before the Savior comes again. Even knowing that, I don't like it at all. So I go to the scripture of being prepared, ye shall not fear for comfort. Then I must work on that.
Okay, well this day will be over shortly, and we will know the that preparation is a must and life must go on. Kevin so eliquently shared a thought Dolly Parton said. If you want to see the rainbow, it must rain. So let it rain....
I have been amazed at how involved kids have been during this election. It is just about all Hannah has been talking about lately. They even had mock elections at her grade level. I wonder if it is because we are all talking about it so much. Lesson learned-kids really are listening.
Jim's boss gave everyone an extra long lunch to go and vote. I thought that was pretty cool because it is so important to vote. Our boys were also very interested in the elections this year and wanted to keep tuned to the tv tonight to see how it all turned out. I am grateful for this wonderful country where we have the right to vote.
I remember watching the news a while ago where they had the kids election and they said every year its right on the money(this year too with obama winning). I think that is because just like you and keion voted the same, most kids take their parents views, whether they think they do or not. It's a lot of pressure as a parent, but they are always watching, listening, and absorbing, even when we think they aren't!! The good news is prop 8 in CA is winning, i can't believe how much effort the church has put into this baby, but's its amazing to see gay marriage be banned in ca.
Post a Comment