Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th of July

So, in the end, the 4th wasn't the most miserable day of our lives after all.
It wasn't your typical 4th of July celebration by any measure, but it worked for us. Instead of a group of friends having a delicious BBQ- we had biscuits with eggs, sausage and cheese (homemade), just the two of us. Super fun.
We did run some errands during the day, which Keion was just thrilled about (much sarcasm) and stopped and visited with Kadie, who was pretty much in the same boat as us.
Around 9:15, Keion and I decided to hit the road and venture to the next town and watch their fireworks. We didn't have any locally and the neighbor with "the bomb" fireworks, he went north, like everyone else in this blasted state. I'm surprised the state didn't shift with all of the weight up north. I've yet to figure out just where "up north" is exactly (No, it's not the U.P.).
Not knowing exactly where I was going, I used my GPS. Even with Michelle (GPS voice) telling me where to go, I got off an exit too early. DUH!
Oh well, it looked like it was going to work out better for us anyway. There was a grassy field with tons of people in chairs getting ready to watch the fireworks from there, right off the exit. Perfect. It was perfect until the fireworks started and we couldn't see them over a huge section of trees. You've got to be kidding me.
Keion and I just laughed and decided to go. There was a Cold Stone Creamery right by so we drove over and got some ice cream. Wouldn't you know, you could see the fireworks perfect from there. We popped a squat on the curb and watch the fireworks to the end and then had a straight shot out of there. No people to fight through and no major backed up traffic. Life just couldn't get better. Unless Kylan was with us.
I asked Keion if it was the worst 4th of July ever and he said yes and no. He felt guilty having too much fun without his dad and said it would have been much better with him. Such a daddy's boy! He did say it turned out better than what he thought it was going to be. I think the ice cream helped!
Kylan is still sleeping, he got in sometime after 6:00 a.m. and so we haven't heard how his night went. I'm sure there were tons of ding dongs that had blown up their hands and faces with fireworks and don't forget those who were drinking and did something outrageous that landed them in the hospital. For now we are going to tip-toe around and let him catch up on some sleep.

6 comments:

Raquel said...

Danette,
you deserve a Cold Stone.
I think our GPS ladie hates us. We always end up on the wrong road going the wrong directions, and with gas so high I can't afford a wrong turn, but for a good ice cream it would be worth it.
Happy 4th.

Kirsten said...

Sounds like an eventful day despite low expectations! I'm jealous of the Cold Stone. I love that place! Hmmmm... fat pregnant girl could go for some of that right now! :)

hayley said...

Look at you! Way to go and get out:) I am glad you had fun. It's going to weird to start doing so much without Will. Church is going to be interesting tomorrow, it's my first Sunday without him and it starts at nine! Also I just hang out with the neighbors and their families. They even fed us tonight becaus Will is on call. That's fun you got see Kadie. You both have hooked it up in the TV department. We are still doing bunny ears and getting the usual PBS and FOX, I guess that's all I should ever have. Because somehow I think we still watch too much TV!

Heber and his "Deli" aka: Adele said...

Our wasn't much better.....the only redeeming part is that we actually had some family around other than just the two of us. From what I hear Ben has been working non-stop since Thursday night....poor guy.

What happened to the Sorensen's?


I love the pictures of your house. I can't wait to see it in person. THe paint colors look great!

Bonnie said...

Jeff was on call on the 4th also so I know how you feel. It's just not the same with out them. Your house is so cute. i love what you have planned for your bathroom. I LOVE orange!

Jana Dille said...

I'm glad you made the most of your 4th! It will be memorable that's for sure:) I'm loving your house and I love, love, love the door pictures! Very creative idea and what a good conversation piece. I also love all the painting you've done so far. Looks like a lot of work. Well worth it though. The only idea I had for you for now is that in your kitchen since you think your cabinents are bare on top, you could take that plant you have on your counter since it's fairly long I bet it would stretch along most of one side with the plates kind of set back in it. It looks good on your counter too though, just a thought. It's so much work to get a house decorated isn't it? You've done a great job though!