Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Running Saga Continues

My running drama continues.
I've never had trouble running but ever since I hurt my leg/buttocks, I just can't quite get it together.
Last night I woke up around 3:45 and went to the bathroom (I know TMI!), when I stood up my leg buckled under me. I had to limp my way into the bathroom.
Stupid leg.
I didn't even run yesterday so you would think that my leg would be doing better than usual. Nope. I actually had to stretch before getting back into bed. This is just what I want to be doing in the middle of the night.
Once I layed back down I couldn't go to sleep. My leg was aching, not too bad but enough to keep me awake.
JOY.
I tossed and turned until Kylan woke up at 5:30 to go to work. My plan the night before was to get up when he left around 6:00 and do a long run. I was shooting for around 10-11 miles. There was no way I was getting up when I hadn't even gone back to sleep.
I decided to sleep in and run whenever I got up.
I slept until 9:00. It's one of the joys in life when you no longer have to wake up when your kids do, and yes, I've slept longer than Keion plenty of times.
So, I got up, ate half a granola bar and headed out on my run.
I was a little over five miles into the run when I could tell my right leg (sore butt/leg) was hurting and my left was starting to ache as well. I think it was over compensating for the weak leg and now both were starting to fail on me.
I just don't get it. This hasn't happened before. I thought of some advice my sister in-law gave me and decided not to push it or end up with some real damage.
I headed for home.
Keion documented this moment for me with some less than desirable photos. His photography is great, the subject- a little rough!

No, I'm not going to puke here. I'm just so tired that I can't keep myself up straight.


This one looks like death walking. I really wasn't going to kill Keion even though my face looks like it. Unfortunately I don't glisten like other females do...I sweat like a pig.
Once inside and my shoes were off I noticed this little prize.
I fell on a parking curb yesterday (Don't Ask!) and scraped the inside of my foot. I had it covered with a band aid, but as you can see in this picture, it was no longer in the right location to do any good.
I've decided to take a week off of running. I have to let my leg heal or I'm not going to get any better with my running.
I don't think I will lose too much from one week off. It won't be the 5 month break I had last time.
I'm going to have to watch what I eat this next week. I've finally lost 9 pounds since we've moved and I started running again. I have 9 more to go. It sounds like a lot but I fluctuate in weight and for the most part being tall, no one really notices whether I gain weight or lose it. I can just tell that my clothes get tighter and I actually fit in a bra (my chest gets bigger anytime I gain weight). But, I'm back in my training bra :-( It's the only petite thing about me(my chest).
All of you that have started running, keep up the good work. I'll be back on the pavement next week.
Oh ya, my brother Robert is doing the Spudman Triathlon. Kylan's Uncle Quinn, Aunt Kelli and cousin Ryan are doing it as a relay. Good luck to you guys, I know you'll do great.

6 comments:

robertsfamof5 said...

Dang. Sorry. Girly. I think you are doing the right thing and I don't think it will set you back one bit. Hang in there.

Bex said...

That is so weird but I am having the same problem only I don't want to take a week off at all! I am only up to 5 miles but my legs are killing me and I am an idiot and keep running. It started with one leg and then it got better now its the other leg and the one that started is now hurting again!! It makes me crazy but oh well right!?

Becky

MadMama said...

Danette! I love your blog! You guys look great! I can't believe how big Keion is now! What a good looking guy! This running thing is crazy, how awesome it is that you are doing it. Keep it up! :)

Raquel said...

relax...
I hate when a bandaid wont stay in place during a run. sweat and blood!

hayley said...

Ouch! I am glad you are taking a break. You look great, do you really need to run that much and that far:) It makes me nauseated just thinking about all your running.

Kirsten said...

Oh Danette, I cannot imagine having so much dedication to running. Possibly the only thing I can compare it to is my dedication to hair and makeup. I guess they're both vanity in their own right. :) I hope your leg gets better soon. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't bend my elbow for lipgloss application.